- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk (skim may be used, but creates a thinner sauce)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (made with olive oil)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- Whole grain Fettuccine noodles
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 bell pepper- cut into slices
- 1/2 cup of thin sliced mushrooms
- 1 squash- cut into thin slices
- 1 tsp of basil
The key here is patience, add all ingredients gradually!
Melt butter in sauce pan on stove top with medium heat.
Gradually whisk in flour.
This will create a yellow paste.
Gradually add milk, whisking until incorporated and no lumps are present.
Continue to whisk until hot.
Usually 3-5 minutes.
The longer you cook the base (without the cheese) the thicker the sauce will be.
Add parmesan slowly, again whisking until incorporated.
Add crushed garlic and pepper.
Cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Remove from heat.
Cook Whole Grain Fettuccine as directed, rinse and set to side
In a skillet- heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
Add in chicken and parsley
Sauté chicken until lightly browned after 5 min, toss in squash, bell pepper, and mushrooms
Sauté until vegetables become soft